Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Christmas Eve in HONG KONG!!!



Hong Kong was my very last stop before I started my winter break. It was a super short visit, only two nights, but it was still memorable. My mom met up with me in Hong Kong so we could spend winter break together! I spent that night wrapping presents, working on the Pac Rim video (I’m on the media group and am in charge of documenting our time aboard), and waiting for her to arrive. At around midnight there was a knock on my door… it was my MOM! It turns out her only checked bag had been lost aka all the Christmas presents and all her clothes were missing and that very next night was the Christmas eve party! We were more than upset, we were devastated. We kept going down to the reception desk of the hotel to call the airport and inquire about her bag- every time we called we just got a busy signal- it was infuriating. We finally sent them a fax with URGENT stamped all over it. We received a call from the baggage claim in less than 15 minutes- who knew faxing actually worked?! We were promised that that bag would arrive the next day, so all we could do was wait. The next day we decided to take our minds off the missing bag by exploring Hong Kong. We began by finding coffee (at McDonalds, don’t judge us), viewing a giant Christmas tree and wondering around the busy streets. After that we went on a ferry boat ride around the different islands of Hong Kong. It was fun and relaxing and just what we needed after the missing bag debacle.



Mama Bear and I


We arrived back at the hotel fully anticipating that my mom’s bag would be there just waiting for us- IT WAS NOT!!! This meant that we had to pull together an outfit for her for the Christmas eve party using only my clothes. Lucky for her I have impeccable taste and have clothes that everyone looks good in. She wore an eloquent tan pants and black shirt combo set off with a splash of color by a purple, green, and blue scarf - she looked fierce. The party had an open bar till 8pm, Christmas songs, and a visit by a Chinese Santa clause- we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  It was really nice getting to introduce my mom to all my new pac rim friends and spending time together. Along with that, it was indeed a Christmas miracle because very early on Christmas morning we received a call telling us they had received my mom's bag and that they were bringing it up! Hooray, and just in time before we left for our flight to Bangkok! That’s right Christmas in Bangkok! You’ll hear more about that soon!

Darling Kariann and I

Double fisting it!

And now here's a link to the video the media crew created to give you a taste of my first semester abroad!  Just click,  Pac Rim Video

Enjoy!
xoxo Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment